Career planning process
This good practice is an individual career planning process based on the identification of skills and knowledge.
Implementation of the good practice
The career planning process begins with an initial assessment and individual guidance. The customer is then directed to career guidance in groups or to training for licences or permits.
In the initial assessment phase, there is one meeting per week for 3-5 weeks. After that, the frequency of the guidance sessions is reduced so that there are meetings once every two weeks. The purpose of the intense initial assessment phase is to commit the client to the career planning process and form a trusting relationship between the client and the advisor. A trusting relationship with the client makes a holistic and goal-oriented career planning process possible.
As a result of the career planning process, the client forms a realistic understanding of his or her skills and knowledge, interests, the competence requirements in studies and working life or entrepreneurship.
- Through individual guidance, clients have learned to identify their skills, knowledge and interests.
- Clients have learned to draw up a skills-based CV
- Clients have learned to write a job application
- As a result of individual coaching, clients have found employment or a study place or have set up a business of their own
- Clients' self-knowledge has improved
- Clients' confidence in their ability to carry out goal-oriented career planning independently has improved.
How to take advantage of the good practice
Career planning professionals can use this good practice in their work. The planning of this guidance process was based on client experiences gathered in the project and on topical studies.
Tuomas Koskela, North Ostrobothnia Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment, tel. +358 295 038 506, tuomas.koskela(at)ely-keskus.fi
Further information on the project:
Structural Fund Information Service S20738
Priority axis 4. Education, professional skills and lifelong learning
Specific objective 9.1 Improving services supporting transition stages and educational equality