Kokoomo – a low-threshold service centre
Small localities have limited resources. We created Kokoomo, which is a service centre open for unemployed people of all ages. Kokoomo is a one-stop shop that provides services promoting employment and life management to both young and older residents who are unemployed or outside working life. The need to set up Kokoomo was based on observations that many clients required the services of several authorities and officials and needed face-to-face encounters.
Implementation of the good practice
Kokoomo is a low-threshold service centre. Its operation is based on the idea that the client only needs to walk in and an employee at Kokoomo will direct the client to the right service.
The following services are found at Kokoomo
- workshop of the town of Haapavesi
- town employment coordinator
- the Wassup project (ESF project of the town of Haapavesi to develop the employment processes in the municipality and the services for long-term unemployed people)
- personal coach
- outreach youth worker and
- Haapavesi 4H association.
In addition, other important partners including a social advisor, a worker from the A-Clinic, a financial and debt adviser, a career's advisor and the regional providers of vocational rehabilitation services present their services at Kokoomo.
- Clients will find all the services they need in one place
- The specialists are together
- Resources are used efficiently
- The service process is fast
- Close collaboration in the network
- The client is at the centre of the services.
How to take advantage of the good practice
Other small localities have been interested in Kokoomo, which is a meeting place for people of all ages in need of employment services and the providers of these services. Creative decisions must be made with small resources so that as many unemployed people as possible receive the services they need and are not excluded from them. The need for personal support and face-to-face services will continue also in the future.
Tuomas Koskela, North Ostrobothnia Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment. +358 295 038 506, tuomas.koskela(at)ely-keskus.fi
Kokoomo in Social media (in Finnish):
Further information on the project:
Structural Fund Information Service S20643
Priority axis 5. Social inclusion and combating poverty
Specific objective 10.1 Improving the ability of those outside employment to work and function