Development priorities for North Ostrobothnia 2014–2020
Objective diagram 2040: North Ostrobothnians are creating the future
North Ostrobothnia is an expertise-filled, international and viable enterprise-driven region with Oulu, the north's largest urban area as its centre. The North Ostrobothnia region is characterised by wellbeing, a high standard of living and biodiversity.
Objectives in numbers for 2040:
- Population target 470,000 (+ 70,000 persons = approximately +2,100/year)
- Labour force target 195,000 (target of + 20,000 jobs)
- Find and adopt new and credible methods to make young people see their home region and North Ostrobothnia as a good option for their future home region.
- Develop internationalisation and networks, operating models and environments that promote multicultural activities
- Be prepared for large projects planned in the region and its surrounding areas (Northern Finland, the Barents Region) and their active promotion
- Ensure that actors in different fields and areas understand the special characteristics of entrepreneurship and the possibilities opened up by an increase in entrepreneurship
- Create ideal conditions for enterprises to ensure their growth and internationalisation, and see an increase in enterprise development
- Decrease disparities in wellbeing, health and education
- Support the entire area's vitality by promoting versatile and responsible utilisation of the region's natural resources
- Create the conditions for a viable, safe and pleasant living environment
- Develop innovation activities based on world-class expertise
In order for development of the region to be a real possibility, a functioning transport system and balanced regional structure are essential. Biodiversity and a variety of cultural activities add to the region's appeal.
Regional programme policy lines:
- Competitiveness and employment
- Regional structure, accessibility and the environment
Priority axes for development 2014 - 2017:
- Youth education and employment and prevention of social exclusion
- A balanced and competitive university structure and network cooperation in the region
- International world class expertise and commercialisation of R&D investments
- Utilisation of University of Oulu's scientific expertise in development of the region.
- Promotion of major project and being prepared for these
- Improving of large-scale industry's competitiveness and reform of fields.
- Supporting growth of SMEs
- Making Northern Finland's labour market more uniform with national and international standard
- Versatile and responsible utilisation of natural resources
- Systematic realisation of a wellbeing programme
- Development of occupational health and welfare
- Development of bottlenecks in the European TENT-T core network (main road 4 and Ostrobothnia's railway tracks and rail yards), as well as traffic across national boundaries
- Development of the Oulu airport as an international transit airport
- Coordination of land use, living and traffic in urban areas in order to unify the community structure.
- Realisation of fixed data communication connections and digitalisation of services
Strengthening the region's diverse cultural heritage and environment