Employment Week to support the employment of young people
The Employment Week is an operating model developed for multichannel communication, for permanent cooperation between companies and parties promoting employment and for supporting the employment of young people. Local authorities act as the coordinators of the Employment week. The Employment Week includes different recruitment events.
The aim of this good practice is to halve unemployment among young people aged under 30.
Implementation of the good practice
The Employment Week, organised once a year, was held for the first time in spring 2017. Hundreds of people from about 150 organisations participated in the planning of the week. Already during the first Employment Week, 83 different events related to employment, entrepreneurship or career planning were published. Part of the Employment Week was also the Megatärskyt recruitment tour, which attracted 10,000 fair visitors.
The following Employment Week was organised in the cities of Kuopio, Iisalmi and Varkaus in February 2018. The eighth week of the year became established as the date for organising the event.
The Employment Week consists of:
- the challenge campaign Tee työllisyysteko ('Carry out an employment act') targeted at all residents and organisations. All parties working in the promotion of employment are challenged to carry out an employment act and to post Employment Week events in the Employment Week calendar.
- employment-related events organised on each day in different localities
- open days
- familiarisation with employers and educational institutions.
- Local authorities and other organisations started to promote the employment of young people more actively
- Cooperation increased between different parties promoting employment
- The employment Week is always held on the eighth week of the year, and all participants are aware of this beforehand
- An organiser is named for the Employment Week. The organisers are the local authorities in the region.
Raili Nissinen, North Savo Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment, tel. +358 295 026 500 raili.nissinen(at)ely-keskus.fi
Web site: Nuoret duuniin! (www.nuoretduuniin.fi, in Finnish)
Further information on the project:
Structural Fund Information Service S20440
Priority axis 3. Employment and labour mobility
Specific objective 6.1 Promoting the employment of young people and those in a weak position in the job market