Koulutustehdas training – Competent workforce through a master-apprentice model
The Koulutustehdas training ('Training Factory') looks for solutions to the recruitment problems of companies. The aim is to improve the match of the supply and demand of workforce in a challenging operating environment, to improve the coordination skills at workplaces and to transfer skills and especially tacit knowledge.
This tailored training model was built in cooperation with Central Karelia Development Company KETI Ltd, the Osaava Keski-Karjala project, Pohjois-Karjalan koulutuspalvelu Oy, Riveria, the ELY Centre for North Karelia and the TE Office.
Implementation of the good practice
The Koulutustehdas training is training that is tailored for a company and a student using a master-apprentice model and it is aimed at employment.
Almost all of the training is implemented at the workplace. A workplace instructor appointed from the company guides and coaches students in the work tasks. The training is carried out flexibly taking into account the workforce and competence needs in the company and the student's education, work experience and competence.
The main emphasis in the training is on how the trained workplace instructor, or the master, systematically familiarises the student, or the apprentice, with the work task. During the training, the apprentice can demonstrate the skills he or she already has and develop his or her competence to the level required in the work tasks. The apprentice already adopts the company's values and operating culture during the training.
- The company-oriented and flexible training model has proven to be effective and functioning: about 80 per cent of the students were employed.
- The training was suitable for a large number of different jobseekers: young recently qualified people with little or hardly any work experience and also older jobseekers with a long work experience but an outdated training
- The training improves the skills in recruitment, familiarisation and workplace instruction in companies
- The training model was also suitable for change of ownership situations in companies.
- The training model received positive feedback from the target groups. The flexible and short training helped to solve the need for workforce in companies successfully and fast enough.
How to take advantage of the good practice
The training model serves companies' workforce and competence needs successfully in the constantly developing and changing operating environment. The project started at a regional level (Central Karelia) and the training model is now implemented at the county level. The training model has been found efficient in challenging recruitment situations especially in the border areas of the county. The model works well as company-oriented labour market training and it will also be possible to use it as a growth service in future.
Raisa Lappeteläinen, North Karelia Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment, tel. +358 259 026 164, raisa.lappetelainen(at)ely-keskus.fi
Web site: Keti, koulutustehdas (keti.fi/koulutustehdas, in Finnish)
Further information on the project:
Structural Fund Information Service S20018
Priority axis 4. Education, professional skills and lifelong learning
Specific objective 9.2 Improving the quality and sufficient supply of education in the growth and structural change sectors