Open living room for jobseekers
We noticed that companies' need for workforce and the needs of unemployed people did not meet and that it was difficult to reach unemployed jobseekers at home before they were put "in the sanctions list by the Social Insurance Institution (Kela)". We therefore needed a facility to which it was possible for an unemployed person to come without being labelled. The facility is open for entrepreneurs, employers and jobseekers.
Implementation of the good practice
In the centre of the municipality of Liminka, a HUB facility was opened in which it is possible to discuss the client's situation and hopes in a pleasant atmosphere without any time limits. The encounter with the client involves no bureaucracy or paperwork. If necessary, we will direct the client to the services offered by the local authority so that an employee from the local authority takes the responsibility for the matter and the unemployed person is not responsible for contacting the services.
The HUB's operation has also made the services offered by the local authority more flexible and created a channel between the different sectors involved in the management of employment. We respond to the jobseeker-client's needs as fast as possible. The employees at the HUB facility provide personal support and guidance in the different stages of the job search. The activities are always based on the client's needs and their quality is high.
- The unemployment rate in Liminka is very low (6.2 per cent in May 2018)
- The labour market support payments charged by Kela have fallen by about EUR 40,000 since 2017 and the number of long-term unemployed people in the sanctions list has fallen to fewer than 15
- More than 200 unemployed people have participated in the project. More than one half of them have found a new career. Some have been employed with a pay subsidy and others have found employment in the open job market directly
- About 20 apprenticeship agreements have been concluded through the HUB trial for unemployed people and in addition to them, about 10 people have independently started education that will qualify them for a new occupation
- Four people have set up a business
- Five people are testing a business idea through the "light entrepreneurship" concept.
How to take advantage of the good practice
The operating model has been so beneficial that the municipality of Liminka will organise a permanent facility and employees for it. In addition to the costs of the facility, the work input of a few people is required. In addition, each person who has found employment also improves the tax revenue of the municipality and reduces the payments of social assistance and other benefits.
Tuomas Koskela, North Ostrobothnia Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment, tel. +358 295 038 506, tuomas.koskela(at)ely-keskus.fi
Further information on the project:
Structural Fund Information Service S20665
Priority axis 3. Employment and labour mobility
Specific objective 6.1 Promoting the employment of young people and those in a weak position in the job market
Photo: Tellervo Kivistö