More and more dating sites are popping up online every day, which can make choosing the right online dating site more difficult than ever. Determining how to choose the right dating site for you isn't really all that tough, but with the plethora of dating sites available today, it does take a little bit of effort. In this article, we'll look at some of the things you can do to make your search for an internet personals site a little less stressful and a little more fun.
Learning how to choose the right online dating site for you involves paying attention to what you want from a dating site and following a few relatively simple steps. These steps are pretty straightforward and could save you a lot of time and money that you would otherwise spend trying different sites.
- Determine Your Reasons for Joining a Dating Site
- Decide Whether a Free or a Paid Dating Site is the Right Choice for You
- Evaluate Both General and Niche Online Dating Sites
- Find Out Whether you Would be Better Suited to a Dating Site or a Relationship Site
- Consider Social Networking Sites
Let's examine each of these steps and see how they can help you select the right online dating site.
- Determine Your Reasons for Joining a Dating Site: Ask yourself why you want to join an online dating site. Are you looking simply to meet friends or to find a man or woman for dating? Do you want to find an activity partner or are you looking for someone to date who shares the same passion for a hobby or interest that you do? Perhaps you are seeking a long-term relationship. It's important to ask yourself these questions and assess your motivations because this can help you narrow down your search for an online dating site. For example, if you would only be interested in someone who shares your passion for pets, for example, a niche dating site like Pet Lover's Personals may be the right dating site for you.
- Decide Whether a Free or a Paid Dating Site is the Right Choice for You: Once you have narrowed down your search by answering the questions in Step 1, above, decide whether you are more interested in a Free or Paid online dating site. In general, free dating sites tend to be more casual and everybody on the site is not necessarily as serious as you might be about finding a date. This is really true of most free dating sites because there is no cost associated or requirements to joining a free online dating site. A free site may be the site for you if you are just looking for some casual friends, but if you are more serious about meeting singles online, finding someone for dating or possibly a long-term relationship, a paid dating site would probably be better. The reasons are because paid sites usually have members who are more serious about finding someone (after all, they did pay their hard-earned money to join the site) and the features of paid dating sites usually far outweigh the bare-bones features of free dating sites. Pay sites generally offer more sophisticated matching capabilities and may provide tools (like our search form above for browsing Yahoo! Personals' huge database of singles) to search for dating profiles by location or keyword. If you are interested in a paid online dating site - and have NOT PREVIOUSLY been a member of Match.com, use this link to get 15% off any Match.com membership. (LIMITED TIME ONLY - Click link to see if offer still valid)
- Evaluate Both General and Niche Online Dating Sites: Based on your reasons and motivations listed above, perhaps a niche dating site would be a better choice for you. Niche sites do not usually have as many members as a general dating sites, like Yahoo Personals (Note: Yahoo! Personals has merged with Match.com, but you may have more in common with the members the site does currently have. At a niche dating site that is comprised of singles who have a similar passion to you, this commonality could provide a really good topic for initiating conversations with other members or finding someone who has a lot in common with you. Now, this is also possible to do on a general dating site, like Match.com, but the greater number or profiles on a general dating site makes it a little more time-consuming.
- Find Out Whether you Would be Better Suited to a Dating Site or a Relationship Site: Lately a new type of online dating site has been gaining popularity. It is kind of a hybrid between a general dating site and a niche dating site. These sites are called relationship sites and they typically require you to fill out a detailed personality profile as a prerequisite to joining. Some relationship sites use your personality profile to do the matching for you. Relationship sites may be the best online dating site for you if you are very serious about finding a relationship and are willing to put in the effort to complete such a personality profile. There are additional differences between general dating sites and relationship sites that you should become familiar with before deciding which online dating site is right for you.
- Consider Social Networking Sites: Finally, many people find that social networking sites, such as MySpace, Friendster or Facebook provide the necessary means to contact and interact with other single men and women. Although these sites are not specifically for dating, many people have met through social networking sites and gone on to date or have a relationship. Social networking sites are free and are, generally more geared towards making friends or establishing contact with old acquaintances, but finding someone for dating on a site like Myspace is certainly not out of the question. It just may take a little longer on a free social networking site because the individuals you find on such a site will be there for different reasons and some of the sites are not as user-friendly as a typical online dating site.
Putting it All Together
Now that you know some of the steps you should take and some of the questions you need to ask yourself before choosing an online dating site, hopefully your search for the right online dating site will not seem so daunting. There is also no reason why you shouldn't try out the different types of internet personals sites to see the ones you are most comfortable with and the sites that work the best for you. Although the steps above can certainly help you narrow down your search, only you can determine the type of online dating site that is right for you.
In closing, thanks again for dropping by Loveawake, we hope that you have found our dating advice about how to choose the right online dating site for you worthwhile and that you come back from time to time to see what's new. If you would like to be updated when there are new features or new content on our site, join our free newsletter by filling in the short form along the left sidebar. When you do, you will get our Insider's Guide to Creating Wining Internet Dating Ads. Good luck and Happy Dating